Tuesday 17 January 2012

Week 1 - Social Media

Week beginning 16.01.12

This week we were looking at Social Media - A Journey through the 21st Century. It amazed me to look back at the technology I even played with myself as a child and to see how much our technology has progressed over the years.

I have strong beliefs that as professionals we need to ensure we remain up to date with technology (not only how to use it, but also how this can enhance our teaching). Even my 4year old niece understands how to use an iPhone and is very much aware of texting/face booking and emailing (during a conversation with her last week she said to me 'I will email you tomorrow to tell you I love you' aaw!!).

Therefore if a 4 year old who has not even reached Primary School yet has knowledge of Social Media we must ensure we are equipped to teach all areas of the Primary School and use this as an advantage in our classrooms! Buckingham (2007) talks about how children are very familiar with current technology, "and nearly three-quarters of them have mobile phones and personal computers for their own use" (p77). This gives us even more reason to become a digital whiz our self!

Buckingham, D. (2007) Beyond Technology childrens learning in the age of digital culture. Polity Press. Cambridge 

No comments:

Post a Comment